Practical Information


All visits are accompanied


·         Every day (excluding Sundays and holidays)

From 16 h to 18 h 30 from 21 July to 21 September


·         At other times in the year group visits can be arranged  in advance by contacting the parish office, 2 rue Millaud, 13210 Saint-Rémy

(a minimum eight days prior notice is requested)



For all further information :


Please contact the parish office

Mornings between 9 h 30 and 11 h 30

Telephone 04 90 92 10 51




Situation in Saint-Rémy






Dear visitors


We are happy to welcome you to this, our parish church and especially here to the bell tower and this chapel which have recently been restored.


The height of the tower above the rooftops of our small town is significant in two ways :  to be seen from afar, a sign of God’s presence among the people and to enable the bells to be heard as they call the faithful to worship or less frequently on other solemn occasions.


As a funeral chapel dedicated to Jean de Renaud, the chapel was built and stands today as a symbol of everlasting life. For 2000 years we have known Jesus, of his life, his  passion and crucifixion  and of his resurrection in the eternity of God, through the path opened to us by the sacrament of baptism.


The parish church is the meeting place for Catholics in Saint Rémy. It is here that we celebrate the important moments of our passage on earth (baptism, confirmation, Holy Communion, reconciliation, marriage, death) and where we gather together for prayer.


It is also a place of welcome  and a sanctuary for the many visitors to our town ; As the door is opened  by a simple push  you will find inside a bit of history, a little touch of beauty not to mention a refreshing coolness from the heat of the Provencal sun but above all, an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.


We welcome you to this house of God. It is your house as well and on behalf of all the parish, I invite you to share our hospitality.


Father Richard Brunet












Coat of Arms of Jean de Renaud

« two gules of ten golden lozenges

 side-by-side, posed 4, 4 and 2 »




Chapel of

Jean de Renaud


A place to meet and be welcomed


Historical summary


This monument was built as the funeral chapel of Jean de Renaud d’Alleins, a member of a distinguished  provencal family of which a junior branch settled in Saint Rémy in the 15th century.


Reference to Jean de Renaud as a ‘bonhomme’ was made by Brantôme in his work  «  Vies des hommes illustres et grand capitaines francais » in which he describes him as a knight, nobleman of the house of  King François I, commander of the Tour Saint Jean de Marseille, who was rewarded by the Granville administration in 1545 with a position as commissioner general of fortifications. In this capacity he participated  in the protection of the town of Guise, in the defence of Metz in 1553 against the Spaniards and in the siege of Saint Quentin where he was killed on August 28th, 1557 at the age of 60.


Following his death, his body was brought to Saint-Rémy to be buried in his chapel.


Little is known concerning the actual construction of this monument excepting an entry in the records of the notary Rémy Navarre dated 1541 referring to the award of a contract  to a Louis Fernais and a Jean Rot  for the erection of a chapel for the said noble Jean de Renaud.




At the foot of the XIVth century bell tower may be seen the only evidence of the flamboyant gothic style of the original church which collapsed during the night of 29-30 august, 1818. It was rebuilt in its present form from the plans of the architect Michel Penchaud in the period 1825 to 1826 and consecrated in 1827.


The chapel of Jean de Renaud is impressive mainly due to its high, 9.5 m ., vaulted ceiling. The technique used to create the ceiling is a fairly rare example of multi-ribbed vaulting known as ‘liernes’ and ‘tiercerons’. The main ribs or ogives follow the diagonals of the quadrilateral thus creating four separate segments. To reduce the size of the segments and to add stability, additional ribs are added. The liernes form a cross centered at the intersection of the ogives and instead of  passing directly to the walls, separate into tiercerons for a better distribution of the ceiling weight. As the building is assymetrical all of these supporting ribs have different lengths and no segment is identical to   which was created in 1695 when the chapel became the sacristy of the church. The arch which is now walled up but clearly visible  was the original entrance to the chapel from the old church.


In the corner of the wall opposite the entrance is a pretty lavabo, or washbasin, in carved stone, dating from the 17th. century,  in the style of a font of Notre Dame de Piété with pedestal for a water jug.


Inscriptions – wall decorations


The Latin epitaph to Jean de Renaud is engraved on a marble shield on the wall above the entrance and may be roughly translated as follows :


‘’For the noble Jean de Renaud, dearest brother who during his entire life was loved and in turn who     loved others in a selfless and enduring way, the noble Pierre de Renaud, seigneur of Saint-Tropez to whom he ceded furthermore part of the domains of Antibes, Cagnes and Loubert, has made this monument.He lived for 60 years, well-off,  his virtues acknowledged and rewarded by the christian kings François I and Henri II .

He died on August 28th 1557 in the service of Henri II, for whom he was commissioner, in Saint-Quentin during the siege of the city by the forces of the Spanish king, Philip. He defended it valiantly as second in command of the army. ‘’



The frieze or ‘widow’s belt’ running along the wall  again depicts the family coat of arms  and helmet . The latin inscription  above reads :


             ‘’the Lord keepeth all their bones, not one of them shall be broken.’’ 


Stained glass window





On the stained glass windows the same family helmet as on the frieze is reproduced.


Plan (bell tower and chapel)



1/ liernes 2/ tiercerons 3/ ogives